Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Facebook is HUGE

If you haven't heard yet facebook has doubled its size in 8 months from 100 million to 200 million. It is clearly one of the most powerful social networking sites and is constantly evolving and updating itself to keep up with Twitter.

"Facebook has also become a vehicle for broad-based activism — like the people who organized on the site last year and mobilized 12 million people to march in protests around the globe against practices of the FARC rebels in Colombia."

This is just one example of its multiple purposes. A recent conern for people my age 18-25 is that their parents are starting to use Facebook. This is a problem for many users who joined the network when it was just for college students. Now it is an international goliath.
My question is where is the virus that will take it all down?? It is becoming an important target as bussinesses and personal info is flooded through the gates of Facebook.

3 comments:

  1. Facebook is enormous! And I agree, I don't like that my mom joined in, but what can I do.. Everyone is on Facebook! I don't know what could bring Facebook down... Like you said in class the other day, I'm tired of signing up for more and more accounts! Maybe we will all just get tired and stick with one thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook is huge! Pretty much my entire family is on Facebook. I can talk and keep in touch with my cousins that live all over the country. If my mom were more technologically savvy she would probably join, but it's a good thing she's not or else she would know what i spend most of my time on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the above mentioned comments have said, there is no denying that facebook is one of the largest social networking sites available today. Your blog caught my attention because I was one of the subscribers that signed up for my account back in 2004 when facebook was just getting started and also required a college e-mail address to sign up. When facebook opened up the sites to all students including high school students, I immediately stopped using it as much. I saw facebook becoming another myspace (full of high school drama) Then I came back and saw that my friends mothers were adding me as a friend. I see this being a pitfall and possibly the demise of facebook in the coming years because it is available to too many people and there are too many ways for your info to be accessed by people you do not know as well as employers. It is going to get too difficult to filter what people can see certain information on your site and it will force some to cancel their subscriptions all together. I know 4 years ago some of us could not live without facebook. Now I see that fear becoming less threatening to those of us growing up and getting into the real world.

    ReplyDelete